Tuesday, September 30, 2008

As I was trying to think of six things I would like to accomplish, I thought of a conversation I had a few years ago with my mission president. He said John Stockton was once asked, after having a record breaking year in assists, etc., what he was going to work on the next year coming. He replied, " I am going to work on perfecting my left hand bouce pass..." I've thought about this often and tried to apply it to my life. Often the little thinks we accomplish will affect our whole "game", so to speak. Anyway, here are a few things I would like to work on perfecting for myself.

6) I would love to be able to sing the alto line to all the hymns in the hymnbook. I do not have a very wide range, so I think I would be a better alto then soprano. And it is so very cool to hear the low notes in harmony with the high ones. I've already started and hope to know them all one day. I'd also love to be able to accompany people without having to picka part the music first. I feel bad I gave my Mom so much grief and if I would've practiced more, I would be a whole lot better now!

5) I would love to be more domestic; I do love to cook, clean, etc.; but I'd like to take some sewing classes, learn to can, plant a garden, and just do other fun things like that.

4) This probably sounds wierd, but I want to become more of the strong independent type. I just want my kids to think of me as someone that could handle the hard things in life; like if we ever had to cross the plains, or if Bo needs me to kill a snake for her(which i've already had to do-yikes!), they would have confidence in me to be able to do it. Does that make sense?

3)I really want to go to Disney World someday. It seems like such a happy, fun place. I remember when Derek and Kristi took their lil' family, we watched their home videos when they got back and I was singing the disney parade "family" song for weeks!

2)I want to go to Houston! I have not seen my Mom's family since I was in grade 7. I think it would be fun to plan a trip with all of us girls in 5 or so years. Wouldn't that be hilarious?!

1) I don't know if this is my number one thing, but I'd really like to finish a degree. Joel works for the University, so I can go for very cheap. Maybe next semester I will try to take a few night classes, but we'll have to see.

So that is it for now!

10 comments:

Ashley said...

EMILY I WISH I WAS MOTIVATED LIKE YOU. THOSE ARE ALL GREAT THINGS THAT YOU WANT TO ACCOMPLISH MINE WOULD BE LIKE
1)ENJOYING WAKING UP EARLY IN THE MORNING......EVERYDAY
2)GET OUT OF BED BEFORE NOON
3)GET OUT OF MY PJS BEFORE NOON
4)LEARN TO NOT ORDER 7 DIFFERENT THINGS EVERYTIME I GO TO A RESTAURANT
5)GET RID OF MY DRAMA QUEEN ATTITTUE ETC.
YOU ARE SUCH AN AMAZING PERSON ALREADY BUT THAT IS GREAT YOU WANT TO MAKE ME LOOK EVEN WORSE:)
I LIKE THE ONE ABOUT YOUR KIDS FEELING LIKE YOU CAN HANDLE ANYTHING. I HAVE NOT EVER THOUGHT OF THAT AND I LIKE IT. WAY TO GO EM LOVE YOUR BUNS

Vicki said...

I LOVE #2. YES it would be a blast to all get together. There are so many fun things we an do. I'm all for it. It has been so cool to hear about all your lives in the blogs. I am loving it! Love you, Aunt Vicki

Trina said...

Emily I am so proud of you. Those are great goals to work toward. You are so awesome! I will have to put my top 25 on my blog so you can check it out! Hope to see you in the morning! Yikes!

Dianne said...

Emily-you have already accomplished great things in your life, like two perfect grandchildren! You are a great mamma! I can see you doing all of these things without even breaking a sweat! Love you tonz! MOM

Unknown said...

Hi- am Joels cousin's Damond's wife, Adriana. phweee that was a mouthful :D

I am excited I found your blog and get to keep in touch with you guys that way :)

You have some amazing goals and I wish you the best in achieving them. I, too really want to learn how to sew. I think you convinced me to sign up for a class that starts tomorrow. :)

Michelle said...

Hey Emily! So when are you coming to Houston!?! I don't know if I can wait 5 years tho! LOL I remember when you all came and you girls went to the mall with me and couldn't understand what I was saying! :) We would love to have all of you here for a visit. That would be SO fun!

I would love to learn how to can food and sew better. Mom and I took a quilting class before I had Melissa and we didn't end up finishing the table runner we were making... that is how all of my crafty projects seem to end. I have been working on Melissa a felt stocking I bought while preg and I don't know if I will get it on the fireplace this year or not! I am working on my list for the next 10yrs! :)
Michelle

Kristi said...

You are so thoughtful! I think you have set wonderful goals. I can't even think about what I am going to do in the next ten minutes let alone ten years, but I am going to set some goals.
I love talking with you and I think you are amazing and so fun. We miss you guys like crazy.

Erin Fanello said...

I think you are so talented and I know without a doubt you can accomplish those things in half the time because you are a hard working and dedicated person! I love you and wish I could be more like you!If I call you will you sing me a hymn in alto? You will be just like amy she always sings alto and I love it! I try to but I can't tune the rest of the stuff out!

Natalie said...

I am so glad you got a blog. Now we can keep in touch. Your kids are adorable! So how are things going?

Cody said...

Emily, I'm glad you're back! And what very good goals you have! It makes me think about my life and what I should be trying to accomplish. I'm still wondering when we'll have time to get together??? Jake and I are planning to move to Hawaii in the summer of 2010. So if I don't see you before then, just come visit us at the beach :)